– Bill Hammond, President/CEO Texas Association of Business
Since joining the Texas House of Representatives in 2007, Representative Tan Parker has authored an impressive list of new state laws geared on conservative principles and producing real results for Texans. Here is a look at some of his legislative highlights:
Reducing Taxes and Government Spending
- Helped to craft state budgets that have reduced general revenue spending and provided record tax breaks.
- Co-authored legislation that cut the Business Franchise Tax by 25% across the board.
- Consolidated local option elections for specially created municipal service districts into one uniform election date, saving cities critical dollars when hosting elections.
- Effective 2013, moved Texas’ Sales Tax Holiday weekend to earlier in August so that more families will have the opportunity to participate in this tax saving weekend.
- Co-authored legislation making the small business exemption to the franchise tax permanent in Texas.
Getting the Government off the Back of Private Business
- Co-authored successful legislation that raised the small business exemption to the business franchise tax, effectively removing 40,000 small businesses in Texas from the tax rolls.
- Reduced burdensome mandates previously required of architects when submitting design plans to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
- Streamlined the credentialing process for certain medical providers seeking to join a group practice.
- Utilized the private sector in administering drivers license exams in order to significantly reduce unnecessary wait times.
Protecting Our Children
- Established a state strategy for reducing child abuse and neglect by directing school districts, charter schools and public universities to provide viable information and instruction to students, parents and teachers regarding all forms of child abuse, how to effectively identify the warning signs, and how to get immediate help if they find themselves an unfortunate victim of this crime.
- Designed an awareness program to better educate children and parents as to the necessity of child vaccinations and where they can go to have their children properly vaccinated.
- Increased penalties facing those who deliberately conceal their direct knowledge of or suspicion of child abuse.
- Enacted sweeping reforms to increase penalties facing child predators and also get victims of human trafficking the immediate assistance they need.
- Empowered law enforcement to aggressively search children suspected of being abducted by a relative.
- Implemented new programs and procedures for helping foster children graduate high school on time.
- Authorized churches to volunteer to provide overnight shelter to homeless children.
Expanding on Local Economic Development Opportunities
- Authorized TxDOT to expand I-35E from north Dallas to the city of Denton, creating significant economic activity, growing jobs, improving mobility and increasing the safety of this central transportation artery.
- Equipped the Texas Motor Speedway with the ability to utilize the Major Event Trust Fund in attracting large scale special events that economically benefit the North Texas region.
- Enhanced the Development Corporation Act of 1979 by providing communities all across the North Texas region the flexibility to use 4B economic development dollars to improve every aspect of their infrastructure as to attract and retain large-scale economic development projects.
- Co-authored legislation that created the Texas Equine Incentive Program, a vital tool to the success of the horse racing industry, which has strong roots in North Texas.
- Formed numerous local special utility districts and also added to the capabilities of existing special utility districts, which serve as great tools for local economic development.
Improving Public Health/Safety
- Extended the Good Samaritan Act to volunteer emergency first responders assisting in a medical situation so that they can do everything in their power to save a Texan’s life without fearing legal recourse.
- Designed Texas’ first boat operator education law, which mirrors the slow phase-in hunter education law in Texas that led to a 50% reduction in hunting accidents and fatalities. Also passed a new law that will provide students with a broad understanding of lake safety by including its instruction in drivers education curriculum.
- Wrote the Britteny Lindt Act that outlaws the dangerous maneuver of boats circling vulnerable water-skiers.
- Empowered hospitals in Texas with the tools necessary to more efficiently and accurately obtain necessary patient information vital to providing effective medical treatment.
Strengthening Family Values / Other Accomplishments
- Ended the “bounty system” of paying persons a set amount for every voter registration card they turn in, a system that led to much of the recent voter registration fraud seen in Texas and across the nation.
- Co-authored numerous pro-life victories that include Texas’s sonogram law, 20 week bans on abortions, necessary reforms to the judicial bypass process for a minor seeking an abortion and requiring that abortion facilities be equipped with the same safety requirements as surgical centers.
- Co-authored numerous 2nd Amendment victories that include allowing open carry in Texas and implementing concealed carry of licensed firearms on university campuses.
- Co-authored legislation to add the phrase “under God” into the state pledge.
- Co-authored legislation that further protects the right to voluntary religious expression in our public schools.
- Co-authored Texas’s Pastor Protection Law that states that pastors and churches cannot be forced to take part in any form of a ceremony that runs counter to their deeply held religious beliefs.